Japan is a country of beautiful culture, diverse cuisine and unique experiences. From the bustling Tokyo streets to the majestic Mount Fuji, there is something for every traveler in Japan. Here are 12 places in Japan any tourist must visit:
1. Tokyo – The capital city of Japan is an eclectic mix of modern skyscrapers, ancient temples and bustling shopping districts. This vibrant city has something for everyone and should be at the top of anyone’s list when visiting Japan. Don’t forget to check out the Skytree Tower or take a stroll through Harajuku to get a taste of Tokyo’s fashion scene.
2. Mt. Fuji – No trip to Japan would be complete without seeing this iconic mountain. Stop by a nearby onsen, or hot spring, to soak in the views of Mt. Fuji while relaxing in its warm waters.
3. Hiroshima – The city of Hiroshima is more than just a sad reminder of war: it is also home to some amazing sights and experiences. Take the ferry out to Miyajima Island to see the famous “floating” torii gate or wander through the Peace Park and its many memorials.
4. Osaka – Japan’s second largest city has plenty of attractions for visitors looking for an urban adventure, from lively nightlife spots to historical temples and shrines. Don’t forget to try some Osaka-style street food like takoyaki or okonomiyaki!
5. Nara – Located just south of the ancient capital of Kyoto, Nara is known for its impressive temples, such as Tōdai-ji and Kōfuku-ji. Deer roam wild in Nara Park, making it a great place to stretch your legs after exploring the city’s many temples and shrines.
6. Nikko – Nestled in the mountains north of Tokyo, Nikko is an ideal destination for nature lovers. Hike through cedar forests or take a boat ride along Lake Chuzenji to get some fantastic views of this beautiful area. Don’t forget to check out Toshogu Shrine while you are there!
7. Hakone – The town of Hakone is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. Take the “romance car” from the city out to this mountain resort for some stunning views of Mt. Fuji, hot spring baths and other outdoor activities.
8. Kyoto – The former imperial capital of Japan, Kyoto is home to over 1,600 temples and shrines as well as many gardens, museums and art galleries. Stroll through Gion district or visit one of the city’s famous geisha houses while you are there!
9. Sapporo – Located on the northern island of Hokkaido, Sapporo is known for its crisp air and fresh seafood. Visit the Sapporo Beer Museum or take a gondola ride up to the summit of Mount Moiwa for incredible views of the city.
10. Okinawa – The Okinawan archipelago is made up of over 150 islands, stretching from Kyushu to Taiwan. Relax on one of its many beaches or explore historical sites such as Shuri Castle while you are there!
11. Kamakura – Located just south of Tokyo, Kamakura is home to some stunning temples and shrines. Don’t miss out on a visit to the Great Buddha at Kotoku-in or take a hike through Hase-dera temple’s gorgeous grounds.
12. Matsumoto – This charming city is located in the Nagano prefecture and is known for its stunning Japanese castle. Wander through Matsumoto Castle or take a stroll along Nakamachi Street to explore this beautiful mountain town.
There are plenty more places in Japan that you should visit, but these twelve will get you off to a great start! From delicious street food to majestic mountains, Japan has something for everyone – so be sure to explore it all!